Re: one of the many reasons why removing non-free is a dumb idea

On 2004-01-07 15:25:22 +0000 Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> wrote:

On 2004-01-07 00:05:49 +0000 Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
[...] As Craig said, the act of putting
a package into non-free has, in and of itself, sometimes led to > licence
changes.
Can you give a reference for that,
smalleiffel, now smarteiffel, was an example.  It went into non-free
while RMS negotiated with its authors until it became the GNU Eiffel
compiler (and is now in main).

If RMS negotiated it becoming GNU Eiffel, I doubt it was "the act of putting a package into non-free has, in and of itself" did much to make the change. Probably less than normal, even. I think human dialogue has to be given nearly all the credit for licence changes.