Re: Statistics on non-free usage

* Steve Langasek

 > Of course, tar and unzip are no substitute for unrar.

* John Goerzen

 > It, of course, depends on what you're doing, but yes, I realize that.  I
 > just tried to show a smattering of similar programs so people can
 > compare.
 >
 > I was actually surprised at the popularity of {un}rar.  I rarely see RAR
 > files used anywhere.

  I occasionally get subtitle collections for movies I download off the
 net as RAR archives.  Just tried the free unrar stuff from
 <http://www.unrarlib.org> on a few of them, and it worked just fine.

  It says it doesn't support all the various RAR formats yet, but with
 a little work I assume it could become a fully adequate alternative to
 the unrar in non-free (unless RAR is patent-encumbered, of course).

--
Tore Anderson