Re: Statistics on non-free usage

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 11:16:06AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:

> I thought it interesting to find out just how much non-free is used.  I
> wrote up a quick Python script that analyzes the latest
> popularity-contest results.  Any cavets that apply to popcon results
> will, of course, apply this this analysis.

> Below you will see some selected output from the analyzer.  It includes
> a few packages in main for comparison, then all packages in non-free.

> The numbers reported are in percents, not absolute users.  This, I
> think, makes it easier to see what is going on.  Also, the output is
> sorted by "vote".

> The fields are (per apenwarr's definition):
>  * Vote: Number of people that use the package regularly.
>  * Old: Number of people with it installed but not used regularly
>  * Recent: Upgraded too recently for stats to be valid
>  * Unknown: No files in the package were used in stats collection

> >From the data, we can see that:

>  * The 5 most popular packages in non-free are acroread (18% regular
>    use), unrar (14%), j2re1.4 (11%), and rar (10%).

acroread is no longer distributable (or distributed), so should probably
be excluded from any analysis.

Also, are any of the java packages actually distributed by Debian?  I
thought there were legal issues that prevented even non-free
distribution (though j2re/sdk packages are available elsewhere).

>  * In main, gs has 42%, xpdf-reader 26%, gv 20%.  tar was at 87% and
>    unzip at 49%.

Of course, tar and unzip are no substitute for unrar.

Interesting statistics.  Thanks for doing this, John.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer