Re: The "Free" vs. "Non-Free" issue

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 14:56:23 -0600, John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> said:

> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 08:19:12AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> That is, in my opinion, equally wrong headed.  Non-free is present
>> because at least one developer found the packages there useful
>> enough to buck the trend and package.  I think it is important we
>> continue to provide a repository of useful software for which we do
>> not have free replacements.

> I guess the question that keeps occuring to me is: why must Debian
> provide this service now?

	Because it helps our users? I t makes Debian a more useful
 solution? Because a Debian developer has deemed this package
 important enough to spend time and effort and create this package?

> If we had not provided it all along, would we start it now, or is it
> just here because it's easier to keep it here?

	I am not spending time debating it here because it is the easy
 thing to do. The easy thing to do would be to be apathetic and let
 people have their way. I am here because I believe that the balanced
 view that Debian has always presented (clearly choosing free software,
 but not falling into the trap of ideological zealotry) is an
 important characteristic of the project, and needs to be fought for.

> Perhaps what I'm looking for is a nice summary of the arguments
> against moving it.  It seems that the reasons for not moving it
> change on an almost daily basis sometimes.

	The specifics change, as the contents of the section change --
 but you are missing the forest for the trees.  Individual trees are
 unimportant. The presence of the forest is not.

	manoj
--
He that loses hope may part with anything.  -- Congreve