Re: one of the many reasons why removing non-free is a dumb idea

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:16:56AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> You think it is fine that we distribute something that is marching
> towards "crap"?

If that's just a trend, and not what it is, then yes.

> > > To me, it's about living up to our own goals, and being the great force
> > > in favor of Free Software that we can be.
> >
> > You do realize, don't you, that our current explicitly stated goals
> > conflict with the goals you've claimed for us?  [In particular, your
> > idea that users need to be protected from non-free software is at odds
> > with the social contract.]
>
> That is not my idea, and I explicitly stated that it is not.  Removing
> non-free from our mirror network does not mean removing support for
> people that wish to run non-free software on their Debian systems.

But, non-free on our mirror network is a part of that support.

You probably meant to say:

  "Removing non-free from our mirror network does not mean removing
   all support for people that wish to run non-free software on their
   Debian systems."

[I added the word "all".]

> > Maybe you should provide a proposal which states the goals you'd want
> > us to be following.
>
> Did you miss this?
>
> http://www.debian.org/vote/2000/vote_0008

In a sense -- I didn't try reviewing the last three years of mail archives
to figure out what you were taking about.

Ok, I now understand what point you're arguing.  I suppose somebody
should formally repropose all those proposals from back then, now that
our voting system can deal with them.

Thanks,

--
Raul