Re: The "Free" vs. "Non-Free" issue

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 22:39:13 +0000, Andrew M A Cater <amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> said:

> One non-free package which can be replaced relatively
> straightforwardly: mpg123 (non-free) is approximately equal to
> mpg321 (in main)

> Just a datum point - I expect I'll now get lots of people
> contradicting me but one package would be a start :)

> To reiterate one of my points in favour of Debian and the Debian
> Project infrastructure being considered entirely as DFSG-free: if as
> a project, we were to concentrate henceforward only on DFSG-free
> software, it might be easier for me to convince my bosses that they
> could use Debian more freely and not risk paying large licence fees
> / face copyright infringement [which I can't categorically say for
> any commercial distribution]. They are worried by FUD.

	And it would make it harder for me to convince some people who
 are currently considering Debian for practical reasons. So what?
 Anecdotally, I would think we would lose more mainstream users,
 rather than gain them, if we went for total ideological purity.

"It's the best thing since professional golfers on 'ludes." Rick