Re: The "Free" vs. "Non-Free" issue

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 07:44:36PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 06:19:51PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > I think it has something to do with fonts being non-free.
>
> Thank you.
>
> If that is the reason why this is bad, then your statement "there are
> always more non-free packages to be uploaded" isn't something that's
> a flaw in our choice to distribute them.   Instead, it's a criticism
> of people licensing those packages in a fashion which don't meet our
> guidelines.

I'm not quite sure I follow...  I said that just to point out that, at
any given time, non-free will contain software that someone finds vital.
I merely say that because I don't think the "just re-implement
everything as Free Software" argument holds any water.

> Also, you seem to have overlooked one of my questions:

> > > And your basis for this is the document of which the DFSG is part of?

My apologies; I'm not quite sure what you're trying to ask here.  Can
you rephrase?

-- John