Re: one of the many reasons why removing non-free is a dumb idea

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:21:26AM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> glorious words.
>
> trouble is, that non-free isn't a crutch.  non-free isn't that significant.

Well then, it should be no problem to remove.

> > If you are a business and almost-free means home or educational use only,
> > that difference is practically non-existant.
>
> then they simply don't use that software.  they are no worse off than they
> would be if it didn't exist, while a number of people/orgs who are allowed
> to use it ARE better off.
>
> your point seems to be that SOME can't use it, so NOBODY should.

No.  My point is that SOME can't use it; therefore Debian should not be
in the business of providing a mirror network for it.

> > Then you are confusing the "what should be allowed in main" argument with the
> > "whether we should distribute things that are not allowed in main" argument.
> > They are two distinct questions, and it seems to me that you are attempting
> > to influence the second because your opinions on the first were not shared by
> > a majority of Debian developers.
>
> huh?
>
> once again you accuse me of talking about main when i am talking about non-free.

That's a pointless distinction, since non-free is, by its very
definition, "that which doesn't meet the requirements for main."

> is this really the best that you can do?  accuse anyone who is in favour of
> keeping non-free of wanting to pollute main with non-free stuff?  oooh! what a
> scary bogeyman!

You yourself said that is what you would like to do.  There is no need
for me to make the accusation.

-- John