Re: The "Free" vs. "Non-Free" issue

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 10:24:40AM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 03:10:59PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > All I have seen is vague handwaving along the lines of "There may be
> > people who would prefer to do something else [but I can't think of
> > anything I'd rather do than keep non-free]".
>
> That's probably because you've ignored all of the "what problem is it
> that we're trying to solve?" content.

IMHO, the problem is already solved, that's why we have this poll in the
first place.

The problem that lead to the inclusion of non-free on the Debian servers
was as follows: 'We'd like to have a full Free System, but some key
modules are not there yet. That's why keep this non-free software on our
servers for as long as needed.'

Now, many years later, apparently a lot of Developers think that the
problem has been solved and we do not absolutely need to have non-free
on our servers. A lot disagree with this, of course. That's why we have
this poll, to find out who has the majority.

Michael

PS: I hope I paraphrased the historic facts about right. If not, I'm not
very interested in argueing about them.