Re: [OT] Re: prize dept

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 11:10:32AM +0000, Jonathan Matthews <jaycee@jaycee.uklinux.net> was heard to say:
> Forgot to include the list ...
>
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 11:48:01AM +0300, Richard Braakman wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 11:27:24PM -0400, Christine Stockdale wrote:
> > > So,  where's the prize?
> >
> > Does anyone know what's going on?  This is the third on this list.
> > Is someone running a scam with our name on it?  Is it fallout from
> > a new worm?
>
> I strongly believe these emails (and also those purporting to be from
> very, /very/ new Windows users, e.g. "My XP says I need driver?  Where
> from?<EOM>") to be email gathering ploys to catch addresses from
> /definately/ live accounts.

  I've wondered that, but this latest one (I haven't checked the others)
has a From: address which appears at a quick glance to be a user of a
legitimate Canadian ISP.  (see www.sympatico.ca)

  Daniel

|                      Put no trust in cryptic comments.                      |
\----------------- The Turtle Moves! -- http://www.lspace.org ----------------/