Re: GR: Removal of non-free

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 03:55:49PM -0600, Ava Arachne Jarvis wrote:
> [Branden Robinson - Wed, 31 Dec 2003 03:13:03 PM CST]
> > Please define "decent alternative for that infrastructure".  What
> > specifically do you expect people to be able to accomplish with a
> > parallel infrastructure when the existing suffices?
>
> I'm not sure what the original post's definition was, but I'd define it
> as "something for which no free alternative exists"---for instance,
> kanji support in Ghostscript and PDF readers is only available through
> "non-free" means.  Currently, at any rate.  Or Arabic support in TeX.
> Or gif support in image manipulation utilities---although that's less of
> a problem, because of other image formats and because of PNG.  Someone's
> native language, however, well... is their native language.
>
> Actually, if we could raze non-free of spurious utilities (like games
> or gif support) and provide installers for the more serious ones, then

Nope. If you remove the non-free stuff, then you will not replace them
by installers, this wouldn't serve any purpose. And beside, is an
installer really free ? Sure it does not link to the non-free binary,
but can it be used without it ? I think not.

If you want to remove non-free, stand to your opinion, and trully remove
it, not replacing it by installers, especially for some stuff which we
can distribute if we felt like it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther