Re: GR: Removal of non-free

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 05:37:10PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Er, what algorithms used by PGP are still patent-restricted?

IDEA -- http://www.media-crypt.com/engl/Content/patent_info.htm

That being said, you shouldn't be using this anyway.  The gnupg
extension works, but I don't believe it's maintained faithfully.  The
ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/contrib/README.idea reads as follows:

    idea.c - The GnuPG IDEA plugin.

    Due to patent problems we do not keep the idea.c file any longer
    here on this server.   If you are in a country where the
    distribution is allowed, you might want to get it from its new
    distribution server; however we suggest to avoid this algorithm
    entirely due to interoperability problems.

    For information on the dangers of softwarepatents, please visit
    the website

	    http://www.noepatents.org

    The new URLs are:

      ftp://ftp.gnupg.dk/pub/contrib-dk/idea.c.gz
      ftp://ftp.gnupg.dk/pub/contrib-dk/idea.c.gz.sig

    Thanks.

Happy signing,

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/