Re: RFD: amendment of Debian Social Contract

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 04:55:32PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> (a) Because "support" isn't really what we're talking about here --
> we're worried not about whether bugs in glibc that only appear when using
> non-free software will get fixed (they will), but rather whether we'll
> allow our infrastructure (archive, bts, mailing lists, etc) to be used for
> non-free software.

Conflating the archive together with the BTS and mailing lists makes
things quite a bit more black-and-white, and unreasonable, than they
need to be.  Any proposal to forbid discussion of non-free software on
the mailing lists would be impractical to implement, and would tend to
frustrate our goal of supporting "our users who develop and run non-free
software on Debian, but we will never make the system depend on an item
of non-free software."

You'll note I did not propose to strike that language from clause 1 of
our Social Contract.

What exactly *does* "we will support our users who develop and run
non-free software on Debian, but we will never make the system depend on
an item of non-free software" mean to you?

Does it mean we *have* to provide package repositories for non-free
software?  Does it mean we *have* to handle bugs filed in the BTS
against DFSG-free packages that interact poorly with non-DFSG-free
works?  Does it mean we *have* to answer questions about non-free
software on Debian lists?

If the answers to these are different, why are they different, and why
does a mandtaory ban on distributing non-free software follow from the
language of any Social Contract which contains the above pledge?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I just wanted to see what it looked
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    like in a spotlight.