Re: GRs, irrelevant amendments, and insincere voting

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 01:58:25PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 05:17:55PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Consider the "amendment" (in name only),
> >    Replace lines ^ through $ with the words, "Debian should continue to
> >    produce a distribution."

> Huh? Do you mean replace the entire social contract with that, or replace
> the text of the resolution with that?

The text of the resolution.

> Why do you think that voting for "Remove non-free" means that we wouldn't
> continue to produce a distribution? Why do you think that ballot would be
> treated differently to:

> 	[   ] Remove non-free?
> 	[   ] Don't change
> 	[   ] Further discussion

> ?

Because in your example, the ballot options are non-orthogonal.  In my
example, they are quite deliberately orthogonal, and don't belong on the
same ballot together at all -- an attack that the current system has no
built-in protections against.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer