Re: RFD: amendment of Debian Social Contract

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, MJ Ray wrote:
> Using "software and other works" either has redundancy or apparently
> endorses the false assertion that software = programs.

I'd personally argue that its merely redundant. However, with the
suggestions as made I don't really see that the assertion that
software=programs, false or true, affects the interpretation of the
social contract.

That's really what I am (and I think Branden is) trying to avoid.

>>3) Commercial replaced with non-free, and deriviations allowed
>>broadened.
>
> This seems a more substantive change than 2 and 4. What motivates it?

As currently stated, it seems that we're restricting derivative works
to Debian+Commercial, as opposed to Debian+Anything. I'd imagine that
the latter is what many Debian Developers actually mean (or at least
it's the type of conglomeration that our licenses allow) so I've
adjusted the language accordingly.

Don Armstrong

--
Tell me something interesting about yourself.
Lie if you have to.

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu