Re: "3:1 majority" and "3:1 super-majority"

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 10:51:59PM +0200, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Very simple "English" question.  Please elucidate me.
>
> Was there any specific reason to use "3:1 majority" and "3:1
> super-majority" in a same section for Proposal A and C?  They look
> inconsistent to me but seem to cause no real impact.
>
> I am talking following sections:
[...]
> > Foundation Documents class which requires 3:1 majority to change and
> >      2. Amend this constitution, provided they agree with a 3:1 majority.
> >         agree with a 2:1 majority.
> > +   5.3 A Foundation Document requires a 3:1 super-majority for its
>                                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Proposal C: Clarifies status of non-technical documents.  Creates
> > Foundation Documents class which requires 3:1 majority to change and
> >      2. Amend this constitution, provided they agree with a 3:1 majority.
> >         agree with a 2:1 majority.
> > +   5.3 A Foundation Document requires a 3:1 super-majority for its
>                                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > +       supersession.  New Foundation Documents are issued and

I concur with the global replacement of "super-majority" with
"majority".

It was (IMO) a flaw in Manoj's original proposal that I did not manage
to notice when proposing editorial alterations.

Because "majority" is well-defined within the Constitution's Standard
Resolution Procedure, it is redundant and possibly confusing to use the
term "super-majority" (which, if we did use, shouldn't have a hyphen in
it).

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    For every credibility gap, there is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    a gullibility fill.