Re: Updated proposed ballot for the constitutional amendment (clarification of section 4.1.5)

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 04:53:48AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:06:52 +0200, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> said:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 03:29:23AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> > Because there is no reason to add to the confusion if we can avoid
> > it.

> >> Last I looked, 75% (3:1 majority) is indeed a number greater than
> >> half of the total. It does not say in the definition just a tad bit
> >> over half so we can just barely call it a majority.
>
> > As i understand it, a majority is 50% +1, while anything else is a
> > super-majority. There is no such thing as a 75% majority or a 60%
> > majority. These are super-majorities, since they are clearly more
> > than a majority.
>
> 	Then your understanding is incorrect.

Sure, sure whatever.

<... skipped lot of good english definitions ...>
> > I thus recommend that you replace all 3:1 majorities and such by 3:1
> > super majorities.
>
> 	You probably need to file another GR to change all such
>  references in the constitutions, since there are several references
>  to majority (section 4.1.2, 4.1.4, 6.1.4, and I guess A.6.3.2,3 need
>  be clarified too).

Yep, that would be a problem, but anyway, to avoid confusion, just use
one word for the same thing in the whole text. Since the rest of the
constituion uses 3:1 majority, then let's use that everywhere, instead
of introducing the super-majority term.

I don't really care, but at least to avoid confusion, use one word only,
and not two different to say the same thing, in order to avoid doubt and
confusion.

Friendly,

Sven Luther