Re: Call for votes for the Condorcet/Clone proof SSD voting methods GR

Raul Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 08:30:33PM -0700, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> > case in point: as we add more voters that actively vote _against_ a
> > proposal, we can cause an option to ``fail to meet quorum.''
>
> This is completely false.

Proposed change:

A.6.3 Any (non-default) option which does not defeat the default option
  by its required majority ratio is dropped from consideration.
  a. Given two options A and B, V(A,B) is the number of voters who
    prefer option A over option B.
  b. An option A defeats the default option D by a majority ratio N, if
    V(A,D) is strictly greater than N * V(D,A).
  c. If a supermajority of S:1 is required for A, its majority ratio is
    S; otherwise, its majority ratio is 1.

Two options plus default option. 400 eligible voters. Quorum of 30. 75
voters.

75 ABD

A wins easily.

75 more voters.

75 BDA

as per A.6.c, the required majority ratio for A is 1.
per A.6.b, V(A,D) > V(D,A) must be true lest A be dropped from
consideration. V(A,D)=75; V(D,A)=76. A gets dropped from consideration.

so we see that by simply doubling the number of voters, we can cause an
otherwise winning option to be discarded. this has the same effect as
A.6.2.

-john