Re: Don't allow ranking of options equal to default?

> On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 06:31:22PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
>  > * Q-1 (or fewer) of the voters vote C as the only acceptable option:
[see below]
>  > * Slightly less than one-half of the remaining voters vote
[ A=1, B=4, C= 2, D=2]

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 11:01:58AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Thank you.  I need to change my example so that some of the C voters vote:
>     C = 1
>     D = 2 <default>
>     A = 2
>     B = 2
>
> (Just enough need to change to prevent the D-better-than-B voters from
> outnumbering the B-better-than-D voters.  Note that the D=B voters are
> not counted either way for the majority requirement.)

Ok, here you have the voters divided up into roughly four camps:

[0] The vast majority don't think the issue is worth voting on.
[1] The largest group of the remainder think B is best and oppose A
[2] The next largest group think A is best and oppose B.
[3] The final group consists mostly of people who think C is best
and who don't care about A or B.

In this situation, if the group favoring B meets quorum requirements,
B wins.

I think I can live with that.

--
Raul