Re: Don't allow ranking of options equal to default?

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 06:31:22PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Here's a generalized example:
>
> * Q-1 (or fewer) of the voters vote C as the only acceptable option:
>   C = 1
>   D = 2 <default>
>   A = 3
>   B = 3
> * Slightly less than one-half of the remaining voters vote like you.
> * Slightly more than one-half of the remaining voters vote:
>   A = 4;
>   B = 1;
>   C = 2;
>   D = 2; <default>
> * (There are no other vote patterns)
>
> (For those interested in the details, the "slightly"s above require that
> the margin of victory of B over A is smaller than the number of pro-C
> voters, so a margin of less than Q-1.)
>
> Without quorum, C wins.  (There is a majority preferring it to each
> other option; a different majority in each case, admittedly.)
> With quorum, C is thrown out and B wins.

> If this is generally considered desirable, under your interpretation of
> ranking something equal to the default (and it may well be), then there
> is no problem at all with your proposal.

Raul Miller said:
Did you forget about the majority requirement?  Unless the camp voting
for B represents a majority of the voters, the vote defaults.
Damn, I did. :-)

Thank you.  I need to change my example so that some of the C voters vote:
   C = 1
   D = 2 <default>
   A = 2
   B = 2

(Just enough need to change to prevent the D-better-than-B voters from outnumbering the B-better-than-D voters. Note that the D=B voters are not counted either way for the majority requirement.)

[I think some of this discussion has confused the quorum requirements
and the majority requirement.]

Well, they interact in funny ways. :-)

I admit that my example is rather artifical, since it requires so many votes of things equal to the default.

--Nathanael