Re: what is the rationale for the amount of quorum?

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 04:04:59PM +0200, Jochen Voss wrote:
> in our constitution I read (about Quorum)
>     Q is half of the square root of the number of current Developers.

Note that quorum is 3Q, not Q.

> Does anybody remember the reason for choosing half the square root?
> Why not just, let's say, 10% of the developers?  Or is the rationale
> for this lost in time?

Basically, as the developer body gets bigger we have two competing
forces: one that decreases the odds of any particular developer being
interested in an issue under discussion (more developers = more issues,
but each developer only has so much interest to spread around), and the
other that says there should be more people interested in any given topic.

The former says that quorum shouldn't grow too quickly, the latter that
it shouldn't grow too slowly. Possibilities are linear, sqrt, logarithmic,
zero growth, or something more complicated in between.

3/2 sqrt(x) seems to be a plausible compromise, and it's Erisian.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''