Re: Constitutional amendment: Condorcet/Clone Proof SSD vote tallying

Dear Raul,

You wrote (25 May 2003):
> This seems to contradict what you said in your 5/24 message:
>
>    Manoj's May 15 proposal would choose candidate E. In the next
>    elections, when candidate E is the default option, Manoj's
>    May 15 proposal would choose candidate D.

There is only one election. In this election, 38 voters prefer E to C,
42 voters prefer D to E and 24 voters prefer D to C. Manoj's May 15
proposal would choose candidate E. My proposal would choose candidate D.

But --and this is what I have to criticize-- _if there was a second election_
then (simply because of the fact that in the first election the default
option has been changed from candidate C to candidate E) in this second
election the winner according to Manoj's May 15 proposal would be changed
from candidate E to candidate D _without having any voter to change his
mind_. On the other side, the winner according to my proposal would still
be candidate D.

In my opinion, this is a disadvantage of Manoj's May 15 proposal because
this means that Manoj's May 15 proposal leads to unnecessarily frequent
changes of the status quo.

Markus Schulze