Re: Constitutional amendment: Condorcet/Clone Proof SSD vote tallying

Hello John,

On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 01:17:20AM -0700, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> >      3. Any (non-default) option which does not defeat the default option
> >         by its required majority ratio is dropped from consideration.
> >         a. Given two options A and B, V(A,B) is the number of voters
> >            who prefer option A over option B.
> >         b. An option A defeats the default option D by a majority
> >            ratio N, if V(A,D) is strictly greater than N * V(D,A).
> >         c. If a supermajority of S:1 is required for A, its majority ratio
> >            is S; otherwise, its majority ratio is 1.
Are you aware that even in absence of a supermajority-requirement
this has a side effect similar to the point which you want to change:

If no supermajority is required the majority ratio is 1,
which means that the option is dropped if V(A,D) < V(D,A)+1.
So this implements a quorum of 1 in the sense of the original
draft for all options.

Maybe you want to address this, too?  In my opinion something like

     3. Any option with a supermajority requirement
        which does not defeat the default option
        by its required majority ratio is dropped from consideration.
        a. Given two options A and B, V(A,B) is the number of voters
           who prefer option A over option B.
        b. An option A defeats the default option D by a majority
           ratio N, if V(A,D) is strictly greater than N * V(D,A).
        c. If a supermajority of S:1 is required for A, its majority ratio
           is S.

would make sense in the context of your amendment.

Jochen
--
                                         Omm
                                      (0)-(0)