Re: Platform for DPL election

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 12:54:58AM -0800, David N. Welton wrote:
> Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> writes:
>>    After joining Debian, I decided to help out with the [2]New
>>    Maintainer (NM) process. I became an Application Manager (AM) and
>>    helped many people interested in Debian join the project. I have
>>    been a very successful AM, completing more than 100 and rejecting
>>    more than 50 applications.
[...]
> That's a really dreadful rate.  It makes me wonder if a system where
> debian developers propose new candidates who have already found a way
> to get involved in some fashion wouldn't be a possibility worth
> discussing.  That statistic made me curious, and I went and had a look
> at the mailing list.  Looks like a lot of people's time, and... yuck,
> people google for your name and find "Reject" next to it.  Kind of an
> ugly thing, even though most of those people are only guilty of either
> misjudging their available time, or flaking out.
[...]

The rejection because of lack of time is not permanently and
*explictly* says so, eg. (quoting Joerg Jaspert):

| I now reject XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX's application. He has not enough time
| to finish the process now. He can re-apply at any time in the future if
| he wants.

Having dead applications in the queue doesn't buy anybody anything
afaict.

I've set Mail-Followup-To: debian-newmaint@lists.debian.org, because
afaict this is offtopic on -vote.
               cu andreas