Re: Hybrid Theory

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 03:52:13PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Uh, how do you figure:
>
> 	40 A B D (A requires 3:1 supermajority, D is the default option)
> 	20 D B A
>
> which Condorcet would treats as "A wins, B comes second, D comes last", is
> treated "more like Condorcet" by:
>
> 	D defeats A (60:40) (scaled 3:1)
> 	A defeats B (40:20)
> 	B defeats D (40:20)
>
> 	Drop weakest defeats, leaving D defeats A;
> 	Hence B and D draw

I'm not sure what you're talking about, here.

Here, the weakest defeats involve A, and A is involved in a superdefeat,
so "Hybrid Theory" would drop A entirely, leaving B and D in the Schwartz
set and leaving the defeat B defeats D.  Hence B wins.

> ? If you want a more complicated example, try:
>
> 	40 A B C F  (A requires 3:1 supermajority, F is the default option)
> 	10 C B F A
> 	10 F C B A
>
> which Condorcet would rank as A first, B second, C third and F last;

Again: the weakest defeats involve A which is involved in a superdefeat,
so A is dropped entirerly, and B wins.

Or did the "Hybrid Theory" post not express this concept adequately?

--
Raul