Re: Hybrid Theory

Hi,

Raul Miller:
> Anthony Towns:
> > In particular, dropping the options that don't meet their supermajority
> > requirement before applying CpSSD meets the above criteria better than
> > strengthening the default versus supermajority-option defeat: it avoids
> > scaling transitive comparisons and ensures that options that don't meet
> > the supermajority requirement don't prejudice other options.
>
> I've rejected this idea because it introduces
> problems which Buddha illustrated in
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2002/debian-vote-200211/msg00162.html

It's a known fact that dropping (or adding) an option from a Condorcet
election may change its result if there's a cycle.

You want an election method where this cannot happen?
Don't use Condorcet voting.  It's that simple.  :-/

I don't like to play around with ratios when considering the supermajority
requirement. It already has led to one unforeseen effect (the rule about
not dropping the default, because otherwise the supermajority-requiring
option might _still_ win -- which gives the default option a strength it
IMHO does NOT deserve); nobody can guarantee that there are no others.

--
Matthias Urlichs     |     noris network AG     |     http://smurf.noris.de/