Re: voting mechanics draft update

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 06:51:47PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
>   A.6 Vote Counting
>     1. Each ballot orders the options being voted on in the order
>        specified by the voter.  If the voter does not rank some options,
>        this means that the voter prefers all ranked options over the
>        unlisted options.  Any options unranked by the voter are treated
>        as being equal to all other unranked options.

Possible FAQ:

It is not possible for to express a lack of preference among multiple
options simultaneously with a preference for any of those multiple
options over another option?

Given Buchanan, Bush, Gore, and Nader, under the Condorcet method a
voter cannot express the following statement.

"I prefer Nader most of all.  I have no preference between Bush and
Gore, but I prefer both to Buchanan."

The voter will have to rank Bush above Gore or vice versa, or abandon
his expression of preference for both over Buchanan.

Is my understanding correct?

G. Branden Robinson                |    I must despise the world which does
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    not know that music is a higher
branden@debian.org                 |    revelation than all wisdom and
http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |    philosophy. -- Ludwig van Beethoven