Re: Quorum and factors of two [Was: Re: Status update on the election]

>>"Miguel" == Miguel Wooding SF Ten Union <mwooding@thecity.sfsu.edu> writes:

 Miguel> To pick a nit here, "quorum", as used in the Debian Constitution,
 Miguel> doesn't carry the usual meaning of the number of people who must
 Miguel> participate in a vote for the result to carry, but rather the number
 Miguel> of votes that must prefer the winning option to the default
 Miguel> option. (See section A.6.8.)

	I beg to differ. Quorum means the same thing in Debian as it
 does elsewhere (a dictionary definition is appended). There are,
 however, additional constraints on how a winner is determined that
 are also dependent on the numerical value of the quorum.

	I think we can say that the quorum has been met, however, we
 do not yet know if there is a winner  yet (which is as it should be).

	manoj

>From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.44 [gcide]:

  Quorum \Quo"rum\ (kw[=o]"r[u^]m), n. [L., of whom, gen. pl. of
     qui who, akin to E. who. See the Note below.]
     Such a number of the officers or members of any body as is
     competent by law or constitution to transact business; as, a
     quorum of the House of Representatives; a constitutional
     quorum was not present.
     [1913 Webster]

     Note: The term arose from the Latin words, Quorum aliquem
           vestrum . . . unum esse volumus (of whom we wish some
           one of you to be one), which were used in the
           commission formerly issued to justices of the peace in
           England, by which commission it was directed that no
           business of certain kinds should be done without the
           presence of one or more of certain justices specially
           designated. Justice of the peace and of the quorum
           designates a class of justices of the peace in some of
           the United States.
           [1913 Webster]

--
 Too cool to calypso, Too tough to tango, Too weird to watusi The Only
 Ones