Re: debian services and responsibility

Hi,

I'm responding to this mail after the war but since I'm candidate I have
to give my opinion on the complete issue anyway. :-)

Le Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 11:25:15AM +0100, David N. Welton écrivait:
> I would like to know the opinions of the DPL candidates on
> responsibility for Debian machines and services.

First of all, all those administrations problems are the resort of
the debian-admin team. They act as they see fit in coordination with our
sponsor(s). You must not neglect that our sponsors suffers as much as us
when something like that happens. That's why we must respect whatever
decision the sponsor is taking (as long as it's not unacceptable).
This is the least that we can do.

That is general stuff, now about the problem that happened recently
at Brainfood: the only thing that I regret is that the debian-admin
team hasn't sent a little notice to debian-devel-announce, because
the only way to have a bit of information was to read the topic on
#debian-devel. Brainfood's behaviour is ok with me, they have made
sure that the most important services are running (web, bts, mail).
The thing we lost was the ssh access but it's reasonable to shut it
down while you suspect that someone may have used it for cracking
something.

It's a bit annoying for me since I can't administer the PTS for example,
but it's not a big problem as long as it doesn't last too long. And if
you rely on Debian machines for your day to day Debian mail I'd suggest
you setup your account to forward the mail on your usual ISP account
so that you're safe.

In general, we must be grateful to Brainfood. They are serving us for so
long that we have a tendancy to forget that they keep spending money for
the bandwith that we're consuming. Ean used to recall it to us from
time to time and he's right doing so. Thanks to you !