Some questions for the DPL candidates

Hi guys,

Some questions, which you might or might not like to answer..

 * What do you think are the three big things Debian should achieve
   over the next twelve months?

 * What do you think will be the three major problems Debian will face
   over the next year or two?

 * Debian has had four DPLs so far: Ian Murdock, Bruce Perens, Ian
   Jackson, and Wichert Akkerman. What do you think each of these DPLs did
   right, and are there any examples of things you would do differently
   in their place (with or without the benefit of hindsight)?

 * The DPL is a fairly loosely defined position, so the successful
   candidate can probably use that position to provide leadership in a
   fair few areas. Bruce seemed particularly successful at publicising
   Debian, and Ian Jackson did a fair bit of stuff getting Debian
   set up procedurally. If elected, what sort of areas would you see
   yourself focussing on: technical, political, procedural, publicity,
   or something else? How would you see the areas you don't have the
   time or ability to handle being dealt with?

 * Debian is becoming increasingly appropriate for commercial purposes:
   whether as a server in a place of business, or as a base for a derived
   distribution, or as a base on which to run proprietry software. What
   sort of things should we be doing to make Debian more suitable for
   these uses, for example, having someone people can call and tell
   their credit card number to, in case their server goes down and
   they need it back up right now, or making our non-free archive more
   readily available for people distributing no-cost (or trial-only)
   proprietry software (such as jdk 1.2, perhaps)?

 * Debian currently has a reasonable amount of cash thanks to both
   donations and awards. What should we be doing with it?

 * Do you still use proprietry, non-free, or unpackaged software (or
   anything else not distributed by Debian) for anything? If so, what,
   and is anything being done to remedy this unacceptable situation?

 * What do you think about the social environment of Debian? For instance,
   we tend to have a different flamewar every week; is this a
   demonstration of our firey passion for what we're doing, or that we're
   about to crash and burn? Should we be doing anything in particular to
   change the demographics of our membership; perhaps trying to increase
   the number of female developers, or documenters, or artists, or at
   least to make it easier for such people to contribute? If so, what?
   Are developers too removed from the userbase (with separate mailing
   lists and IRC channels), or is the mix still pretty good?

Cheers,
aj