Re: New Debian Project Leader Chosen

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 04:06:04AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> > > No.  "Preferred" has three r's.
> >
> > And this sentence mentioning "preferred" has four, no, five r's.
>
> And which grammatical rule suggests the apostrophes?
>
> Hamish

the rules found in the fortune cookie jar:

1)
Dear Mister Language Person: What is the purpose of the apostrophe?

Answer: The apostrophe is used mainly in hand-lettered small business
signs to alert the reader than an "S" is coming up at the end of a word,
as in:
WE DO NOT EXCEPT PERSONAL CHECK'S, or: NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ITEM'S.
Another important grammar concept to bear in mind when creating hand-
lettered small-business signs is that you should put quotation marks
around random words for decoration, as in "TRY" OUR HOT DOG'S, or even TRY
"OUR" HOT DOG'S.
                -- Dave Barry, "Tips for Writer's"

2)
Rules for Writers:

Avoid run-on sentences they are hard to read.  Don't use no double
negatives.  Use the semicolon properly, always use it where it is
appropriate; and never where it isn't.

Reserve the apostrophe for it's proper use and omit it when its not
needed.

No sentence fragments. Avoid commas, that are unnecessary.  Eschew
dialect, irregardless.  And don't start a sentence with a conjunction.
Hyphenate between sy-llables and avoid un-necessary hyphens. Write all
adverbial forms correct.  Don't use contractions in formal writing.
Writing carefully, dangling participles must be avoided.  It is incumbent
on us to avoid archaisms.  Steer clear of incorrect forms of verbs that
have snuck in the language.  Never, ever use repetitive redundancies.  If
I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times, resist hyperbole.
Also, avoid awkward or affected alliteration.  Don't string too many
prepositional phrases together unless you are walking through the valley
of the shadow of death.  "Avoid overuse of 'quotation "marks."'"

3)
Rules for Good Grammar #4.
         (1) Don't use no double negatives.
         (2) Make each pronoun agree with their antecedents.
         (3) Join clauses good, like a conjunction should.
         (4) About them sentence fragments.
         (5) When dangling, watch your participles.
         (6) Verbs has got to agree with their subjects.
         (7) Just between you and i, case is important.
         (8) Don't write run-on sentences when they are hard to read.
         (9) Don't use commas, which aren't necessary.
        (10) Try to not ever split infinitives.
>>>     (11) It is important to use your apostrophe's correctly. <<<
        (12) Proofread your writing to see if you any words out.
        (13) Correct speling is essential.
        (14) A preposition is something you never end a sentence with.
        (15) While a transcendant vocabulary is laudable, one must be
             eternally careful so that the calculated objective of
             communication does not become ensconsed in obscurity.  In
             other words, eschew obfuscation.

--
Manfred Wassmann
PGP and GnuPG public keys available at http://germany.keyserver.net