Re: Some questions for the DPL candidates

On 2001-03-06 19:42:04 PST, Branden Robinson wrote:
 > xautolock   start a program if the X session is idle for some time
..
>        However, the notations in the copyright file indicate to me that
>        the author might be happy with the GNU LGPL; perhaps he did not
>        choose that license because he appears to prefer short licenses to
>        long ones.  Whatever their virtues may be, I do not think the GNU
>        licenses can claim brevity among them.  :)

Yes, I like them short, but that was not the main reason. xautolock
was started in 1989, back when we'd never heard of the GPL yet. I've
considered changing the license at various times after that date, but
each time I got stuck into a nasty problem that would take too long
to explain here.

The good news is that I'm about to subject the thing a big clean up,
and this time definitely intend to change the license. The current
plan is to go for a dual approach: GPL and something else (both for
those who don't like the viral nature of the GPL, and in order to
deal with that nasty problem I mentioned). Please bear with me.

Best regards,

    MCE

PS: Please reply to me directly, or at least cc me, as I don't
    normally read this list and in fact am not subscribed.

    MCE
M. Eyckmans (MCE)          Code of the Geeks v3.1              mce@pi.be
GCS d+ s+:- a35 C+++$ UHLUASO+++$ P+ L+++ E--- W++ N+++ !o K w--- !O M--
 V-- PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP- t--- !5 !X R- tv- b+ DI++ D-- G++ e+++ h+(*) !r y?