Re: expiry announcement

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 03:14:17PM -0700, John Galt wrote:
> > It is comments like this from people like you that scare companies
> > away from working with Debian.  Progeny is committed to doing its
>
> If they're involved in trying to undermine Debian in the process, they can
> go to Hell.  Stormix and Corel made Debian-based distributions, did either
> of them get any flaming from me?  I was here.  They both contain non-free,
> did you hear anythiing from me?  They had employees actively participate
> in the Debian process, did you hear anything from me?  They proposed
> ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^ strike that, they didn't propose divisive
> GRs.  Hmmmmmm: you think?

John's proposal has NOTHING to do with Progeny, though he did propose it
there as well.  John's stance against non-free is long-standing and has
been well-known from a time long before John worked for Progeny - in fact
long before Progeny existed.

I could expect some clueless newbie making blind accusations without even
a hint of background information or fact to support them.  Reading it from
someone who should know better is disappointing.

You know what the big difference between Corel, Stormix, and Progeny is?
How many of the people working on Corel Linux are Debian developers,
active or otherwise?  Not many.  Stormix?  A couple more, but the obvious
examples have actually left the company for one reason or another.
Progeny Debian is being produced entirely by people involved with Debian.
We all use it, we all support it, and we all hack on it in various ways.

How much of Storm or Corel's work has gone back into Debian?  Very little.
Most of what they've done has been completely useless outside their own
distributions.  From Progeny, how's dexter just for a start?  That's what
Progeny does.  Removing non-free from Debian?  John's on his own there.

Hmm...  Which would do a better job at driving physicists crazy?  Travel
faster than light, or a floating-point boolean value?
        -- Michael Mol