Re: Summary of voting irregularities

    Branden> On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 10:27:00AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
    >> hilliard@debian.org (Robert D. Hilliard) writes:
    >> =20
    >> >      This is the heart of the matter.  It is akin to the U.S.
    >> > controversy over `activist' judges, who rule based on their beliefs of
    >> > what should be, rather than on what the law says.  At least in U.S.
    >> > jurisprudence several levels of appellate review are available.  Under
    >> > the Debian Constitution no such appeals are available.  This is a far
    >> > more important point than the fate of John's GR.
    >> =20
    >> But under the Debian Constitution, it's pretty easy to override the
    >> Secretary's judgement.

No, it's not easy.  It's not even possible.

§4.1.3 specifies a GR can override a decision "by the Project Leader
or a Delegate."  And I find nothing in all of constitution.txt that
says that the Project Secretary is a delegate... just the opposite:
the PS' powers and duties are listed in §7 whereas the PL's Delegate's
p&ds are in §8, which makes it pretty obvious that the PS is *not*
Delegate of the PL.

Bad, very bad...

    Branden> No, it is not.  The developers have to propose a GR to
    Branden> effectively do so, and the Project Secretary controls the
    Branden> timing and form of the ballot.  There is no mechanism for
    Branden> appeal of a decision by the PS that doesn't involve him,
    Branden> and there is no mechanism for external arbitration or
    Branden> vote conduction.

This just means that *if* the PS were a Delegate of the PL, it would
be almost as bad...

I get the pretty strong feeling (not having been a witness to its
creation) that the Constitution is *very* strongly influenced by a
fear of a too-strong DPL, and thus, many other things (like a good
system of `checks and balances' ;-) have been, well, slightly
overlooked...

Bye, J

--
Jürgen A. Erhard    juergen.erhard@gmx.net   phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326