Re: Summary of voting irregularities

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 04:44:20PM -0400, Buddha Buck wrote:
> > 1. The Social Contract cannot be modified under the Debian Constitution.
>
> This is the least controversial interpretation, because it allows for very
> little subjective projection of desired meaning onto the text of the
> Constitution.

     I disagree.  This is, in my view, the most controversial
interpretation.  I fully agree with the rest of your analysis.

> Adjudicating disputes about the meaning of the Constitution (7.1.3) does
> not mean unilaterally introducing rules that have no foundation within it.

     This is the heart of the matter.  It is akin to the U.S.
controversy over `activist' judges, who rule based on their beliefs of
what should be, rather than on what the law says.  At least in U.S.
jurisprudence several levels of appellate review are available.  Under
the Debian Constitution no such appeals are available.  This is a far
more important point than the fate of John's GR.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard      <hilliard@debian.org>