how to be a rude bastard? emulate brandon robinson. (was Re: Lets speak about freeness, ...)

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 03:27:46AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 11:01:27AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 08:00:16PM -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > > G. Branden Robinson            |    It's not a matter of alienating authors.
> > > Debian GNU/Linux               |    They have every right to license their
> > > branden@ecn.purdue.edu         |    software however we like.
> > > roger.ecn.purdue.edu/~branden/ |    -- Craig Sanders, in debian-devel
> >
> > 1. you do not have my permission to quote me.
>
> I do not need your permission to quote statements you make in a public
> forum (see below), especially small snippets that easily fall within
> the bounds of Fair Use.  If the laws of Australia differ in this
> regard, you are free to seek my extradiction to your country for
> trial.

yes, you do. your usage does not conform to the any reasonable
definition of "fair use".

australian copyright laws are little different from US copyright laws.

in any case, the point i was making was not a legal one.  it was a point
about etiquette. i'll state it explicitly it because you missed it
entirely:

  IT IS FUCKING RUDE TO QUOTE SOMEONE WITHOUT THEIR FUCKING PERMISSION!

  IT IS EVEN RUDER TO CONTINUE TO QUOTE SOMEONE WHEN THEY HAVE TOLD YOU TO
  STOP.

get the point now?

you should get it, because IIRC, i have seen you complain about joseph
quoting you in his stupid sig file in the past. this means you are not
only a rude bastard, you are a fucking hypocrite.

i sincerely hope you are at least as offended by this message as i
am offended by your obnoxious rudeness. if, by chance, you are not
offended i will have to try harder the next time you annoy me. this
message has been deliberately CC-ed to you in the hope that it will piss
you off even further because i am completely aware of the fact that
you do not like it and whine about it all the time and even include a
Mail-Followup-To header to prevent it. i am also aware of the fact that
it pissed you off to see your name mis-spelled as brandon.

> > 2. i do not recall the context of that quote, but it looks like an
> > obvious typo to me. or perhaps a deliberate joke. don't know, don't
> > care.
>
> ****quoted material**** [...] represents excision
> [...]
> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:43:53 +1000
> From: Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au>
> To: David Bristel <targon@targonia.com>
> Cc: Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk>,
>         Raphael Bossek <raphael.bossek@solutions4linux.de>,
>         debian-devel@lists.debian.org, Dan Stevens <dan@rebol.com>
> Subject: Re: [dan@rebol.com: Re: unofficial REQUEST for support DEBIAN  GNU/Linux]
> [...]

> > While I would hope that this license would change at some time in the
> > future, I do not feel it is good to alienate the authors of a program
> > or package by pushing them to make this sort of change against their
> > will.
>
> it's not a matter of alienating authors. they have every right to
> license their software however we like.
> [...]
> ***end quoted material***
>
> But as you said, you don't care.

i notice you completely ignored my statement that it was an obvious typo.

but then, acknowledging it would spoil a great ad-hominem attack for
you, wouldn't it? seeing as you have little else to argue on, that could
leave your bloated ego with no public messages to post for at least a
few hours. i can see how that would be an unbearable circumstance for
you.

i repeat, you are a rude bastard. you are apparently working very hard
to destroy what little remaining respect i have for you.

do not bother responding, i have no interest in what you have to say any
more. you are behaving like a tediously pedantic prat.

i leave you with the following advice:

have a nice day.

craig

--