Re: Negative Summary of the Split Proposal

      The point is that our files are already quite separated; we do
    not consider non-free or contrib as part of Debian; and they are in
    separate areas of the FTP archive.  They are not distributed on CD.
    Clearly the separation exists, and is used.

The separation is visible when you look for it.  But right now there
is no easy way to distribute the Official Debian system, or refer users
to it, without blatantly advertising the non-free packages too.
That is what I would like to be able to do.

However I've come to agree that the arrangement of the ftp directories
is not the important place to make this change.  It seems that the
important places are (1) how apt interacts with users and (2) the web
site.