Re: Negative Summary of the Split Proposal

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

> Richard wants us to remove non-free software from our main servers,
> remove all mention of non-free software from our web pages, and remove
> mention of non-free software from our installation and config files.

Not at all true!  He was, IIRC, perfectly happy with the suggestion
that non-free repositories be listed in source.list as long as they
were commented out *by default* -- or even commented out only if
someone responded "yes" to a question like, "would you like to see
only truly free software".

(He's welcome to correct me if I'm wrong about this.)

> If things happen as Richard would like, non-free will essentially become
> available only to those who ask "is <something non-free> packaged?"

Nope, see above.

RMS is extreme enough without people needlessly exaggerating his
positions.  I may not always agree with him, but he is generally both
reasonable and consistent, within the limits of what he perceives that
his morality will allow.