Re: Ad hoc and spontaneous voting

On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 02:24:54PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>   a) All general resolutions must start with an announcement to
>      debian-devel-announce and debian-devel, with foolow ups
>      redirected to -devel.
No.  resolutions won't be tracked on -devel.  If I get cc'd, I'll end up
getting the whole flmefest dumped in my inbox because many people don't
bother to trip headers.  That's also unacceptable.  The propper place is
-devel-announce and -vote with follow ups to -vote.  If the person wants to
cc -devel also that's up to them but that's also cross posting as far as
*I* am concerned.  With this setup, people who want to follow voting topics
w/o subscribing to and wading through the -devel list can.

>   b) The announcement should be generally labeled as being general
>      resolutions, including, but not limited to, a subject tag, like
>      so:
> Subject: [GENERAL RESOLUTION] ...
I thought [Proposal] was enough (to distinguish from [Amendment] but if you
prefer GENREAL RES instead, I can live with that.  It should be enough to
state that this proposal is a GR in the body, though.  Infact, you state a
liberal approach (no limited to I'd rather limit it to [P...] and [A...]
with GR mentioned in the body and be a little more strict about it.

>   c) The call for votes should be submitted to -devel and -vote, after
>      the discussion period is over and a final form of the resolution
>      is available, along with any amendments, etc, which have recieved
>      adequate number of seconds.
>   d) The call for votes should contain the full text of the proposed
>      resolution and amendments, along with the names of the proposer
>      and seconds.
Are you drawing a distinction between the CFV and the ballot?  The vote
doesn't happen automaticly.  The proposer or a sponsor has to Call for the
Vote and then I pass out the ballets...

>         The following are just proposals
>   e) We may create a virtual package so that we can use the BTS to
>      track the progress and status of the all current resolutions. The
>      initial proposal, any amendments, and the final form and ballot
>      should all be CC'd to the bug report (the intervening discussions
>      need not be).
I didn't like the Policy stuff going to the BTS, I object to GR stuff going
there, too.

>   f) Mandate a pre prosal, or require that there have been a period of
>      discussion prior to calling for a general resolution. Include a
>      rationale in the initial proposal that details when the
>      discussions were held, and why we think a resolution is required
That's what getting "enough" sponsors is supposed to do.  If the required 5
come automaticly, then maybe we should raise the minimum or do away with it
all together instead of adding another layer of preproposal.