Re: The Gordian Knot (was Re: Negative Summary of the Split Proposal)

Ean Schuessler wrote:

    Fundamentally, some Debianers believe that
    selecting Free software because you had no other choice is no moral
    decision at all.

It takes time to think about these issues, and time to realize how
freedom affects your life.  System installation can force users to
make a decision, but it can't put them instantly in the position to
make a thoughtful and informed *moral* decision.  What it can and will
do is *lead* them--in one direction in another.

So we should urge the public to think about the issue, consider
arguments, and reach a conclusion.  And we should do our best to
present the arguments for freedom.  But we should not require everyone
to "make a moral decision" before they even start using GNU/Linux.

	  Software that isn't free reduces the flexibility and control over
	  your Debian GNU/Linux operating system...to read more about
	  why you shouldn't use non-free software, read
	  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy.

That is a good statement to make.

    Rather than
    considering it a problem and putting it out of our sight, we can make
    it an oppurtunity to convince people of our views and transmit our
    belief system.

I agree.  It would be good to put that statement into the main web
page about non-free packages.  Also, it would be good for apt to
display the statement at the beginning of package selection, if the
non-free category is included.

However, raising the moral issue of non-free software does not have to
mean offering users some of it.

     Some might argue that you have "tricked" the end user
    into being moral because you made it too difficult to find out how to
    do something immoral.

There is no moral obligation to tell people how to hurt each other or
how to weaken their community.  We don't have any obligation to tell
people where to get non-free software, or help them get it.

Non-free software is a kind of addiction.  It is possible to quit,
but not easy.  I think my moral obligation is not to lead people
into getting addicted.

We disagree on this.  You think it is wrong not to tell users about
non-free packages.  I think it is wrong to tell them.  That far, the
situation is symmetrical.

I'm willing to accept having room in Debian for both of us, but
you seem to be demanding an outcome that will leave no room for me.

I hope the Debian developers in general will reject that spirit.