Re: Negative Summary of the Split Proposal

      Unless the user is
    aware of the problems of software licensing, he will never know what
    GNU/Linux is all about.

I agree with you, and I am constantly working to inform people
about this.

The best way to bring this issue to users' attention is to (1) provide
articles about the issue, which we do in places like
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy, and (2) show we mean business about the
issue, by not recommending programs which aren't free.

Encouraging users to use non-free programs works against this,
because it undermines the message.

    If a user wants to use non-free packages, why
    should the information on how to get them be hided?

It is against my conscience to help advertise non-free programs, so I
don't want to do that.  Your conscience may say different things; you
may want to advertise them to users.  But why do you demand that I
advertise these programs?  Can't we compromise so that you can do what
you want, and I can do what I want?  That is all I am asking for.

    > For example, I think that a comment in an apt configuration file is
    > not a big issue, assuming most users won't see the comment, because
    > they just use apt rather than looking directly at its configuration
    > file.

    Come on, are users that stupid?

There seems to be a misunderstanding here, because I did not say that
anyone is stupid.  This has nothing to do with intelligence or
stupidity, it is a question of what the usual and convenient usage
patterns are.