Re: Negative Summary of the Split Proposal

This is an attempt to resolve some ambiguity about this free/nonfree
archive split for debian.

Richard, since you are the fsf representative here, please comment on
the following interpretation of how the split should proceed:

(1) We decide that the free archive needs to not contain references to
non-free software,

(2) We implement this primarily by creating alternate DNS names and
splitting up the directory structure -- the urls for the free packages
will be very different, but on some ftp servers it will be possible to
change directory out of the free area and then into the non-free area.
The exact details of this would vary from server to server.

(3) Our web server (www.debian.org) would give details on how to configure
a system for free software only as well as for the mix of free/non-free
(which currently isn't available on cdrom -- only via the net).

(4) The apt package would come pre-configured to only get the packages
in main (both us and "non-us") but would also refer to the web site's
detailed list of servers (which presents the non-free servers as well).

>From the discussion that's taken place here, I imagine that people will
be very interested in your thoughts about whether this would be acceptable
in the long run, or whether you'll be asking for further changes [for
example: before fsf would be comfortable distributing debian cdroms].

[Finally, note that this is my own idea of how the split could be
implemented -- I've introduced it mostly for clarification purposes.]

Thanks,

--
Raul