What I would like to vote for (was: Negative Summary of the Split Proposal)

Hi,

I completely agree with Jason. I just want to add some more things
(already said this here and on IRC):

What I'm really missing in our current state is an explanation in the
description of non-free telling me why is that package there. You can
get these infos after you install the package or if you play with the
dpkg. These things should be more accessible, aka displayed by dselect
and let me decide if I can install the package. After all, old users of
debian knows what are the differences between main, non-free and contrib
are, so this issue is more for outsiders or newcomers. In the current
state we force them to install first the non-free package and let them
check later if they can really use the software. Not very user friendly,
if you ask me.

Making apt search main only by default would be enough for showing that
we prefer free software. However, the information on accessing the
non-free and contrib should be at hand, if somebody looks for it, not in
a forgotten corner of my computer.

To conclude, I will probably vote for keeping the current state of
splitting (all stuff on the same server with main, non-free and contrib
branches). But I would like to see (in time, not immediately) that
non-free packages explains why they are not free from the very
beginning, aka in the description field of the package. Probably this
should be imposed through the policy for non-free packages.

Ionutz