Re: README.Why_non-free (Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org )

On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 09:12:32AM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> I lost track of who said what...

Some here. I will probably only post once - I am not really intersted
in this thread, but some issues have caught my eye.

> Without giving legal advice, the package was put into non-free
> for a reason, right?  State the reason.
>
> I wouldn't put it in README.Debian.  I'd put it in a mandatory
> new file for non-free packages called README.Why_non-free
> (contrib packages could have README.Why_contrib).

I would prefer it if it went in as another field in Packages. That
way, when browsing Packages for new packages that I might want to
install, I can quickly see why a non-free package is non-free, and
consider if it is still worth installing - of course, I would
double check the official copyright file after installing it...

> I could then easily find all non-free packages on my system by
> doing
>
> $ locate README.Why_non-free

I think dpkg (or some other package) should provide some mechanism to
automatically list all non-free and/or contrib software installed on a
system. Especially for non-free software I may have installed ages ago,
and never used since...

--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>