Re: Ready to vote on 2004-003?

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 03:47:46AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > No. It was an error to try to set the release policy myself, rather than
> > > tangling it up in the bureaucracy of getting a tech ctte ruling or GR
> > > in the first place. Not a mistake I'm going to make again.
> > Told you so (way back when you first introduced the policy of
> > deliberately including non-free stuff in sarge).
>
> Stating the policy _that_ time, however, wasn't a problem at all.
>
> It's interesting, though, that not only did no one else propose a GR to
> support that policy at the time, but you didn't propose a GR to set the
> policy you believed was correct either -- even though you opposed the
> decision, apparently thought that it was against the social contract,
> and you're now claiming that you thought the GR process was the right
> way to make that decision at the time anyway.

I had other priorities (specifically the last few non-electoral votes
we've had), and at the time the voting system was still
fucked. This was on my list of priorities to come after revising the
DFSG; circumstances have merely forced the issue sooner.

It takes a really bloody long time to get things of this magnitude
done within Debian.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |