Re: First Draft proposal for modification of Debian Free Software Guidelines:

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 02:26:18PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> You'd find even less people who'd design fonts. And I don't know how
> many would just modify a given font or rather create a new one from
> scratch.

For the record, I have created a font (this was an apl font, back in
the mid 90s).

It was a derived font (I started from an X bitmapped font), because
I was mostly interested in adding new characters (there was also some
re-arrangement, and a few stylistic changes on characters which looked
very similar).

The point, in this context, is that "derived fonts" take less effort to
build than "from scratch" fonts.

Unicode might change this, but I don't know enough about the organization
of our unicode support to say much about that topic.

--
Raul