Re: Secret votes HOWTO

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 04:21:30PM +0200, Roland Mas wrote:
> > > Name: Anton Zinoviev
> > > Email: zinoviev@debian.org
> > > Id: zinoviev
> > > Ballot: 231
> > > VoteNumber: 159  <-- this is new information.
> If we want to go that way, I suggest that the vote number be
> randomised, so as not to allow people to guess who voted for whom from
> the vote number (which seems to be related to the date/time the vote
> was received in the proposed scheme).

Of course, if you were really paranoid, you'd wonder if the secretary
might be carefully choosing the numbers so that people who vote the same
way end up with the same number, and thus the secretary gets a free vote
to do with as he will; in which case it should be the voter who gets to
choose the random number, and it would want to be longer than just a few
digits to avoid collisions.

If you were really paranoid, you'd do like someone said and implement one
of the voting schemes from Schneier's book, but even then you wouldn't
be safe from a truly malicious secretary.

Cheers,
aj