Re: Volatile Going Away?

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:32:20PM +0200, Teodor MICU wrote:
> 2011/1/27 Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org>:
> > The volatile functionality will be provided by squeeze-updates instead.
>
> I think "squeeze-updates" is more appropriate than "-volatile" as the
> target for accepted uploads to "squeeze-proposed-updates". I think
> this is not only a cosmetic change, but also one that will allow you
> to overcome the situations like the one from Debian 5.0 regarding the
> upload of spamassassin via volatile for 2010 new year change.
>
> However, I see that "testing-updates" was not created as an alias to
> "squeeze-updates" the same way "testing-proposed-updates" is an alias
> to "squeeze-proposed-updates". This should not be done right now, but
> it should be done (probably by FTP team) during the "testing" ->
> "stable" transition next week when Debian 6.0 will be released.

possibly.  The only value I see in this is the transparent "we upgrade to the
next stable version when it's released" way of upgrading.[1]  Apart from that
we're not entirely unhappy with only using codenames instead of suite
aliases.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

[1] Which means skipping release notes, recommended upgrading procedures and
    the like.