Re: No access to debian.org

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 19:54 +1100, Craig Anthony wrote:
> Dear Debian team,
>
> hello
>
> I have recently installed Linux Debian and during installation I was
> unable to subscribe to any mirror whether here in Australia, the U.S,
> Germany or any mirror I have tried. After installation I have web and
> LAN access to anywhere except for any debian.org site.
>
> During installation I was instructed I was unable to access a mirror
> resulting in not being able to get official updates and to investigate
> further. Also was the address of /etc/apt/sources.list. I navigated to
> the folder and clicked on the file which launched the update utility.
> After updating began after file 16 the utility could not get any further
> information on updates. There were 24 in total. Attached is a copy of
> sources.list.save. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like
> to investigate Debian from Debian and not having to boot to windows or
> Ubuntu to have access to debian.org services or web sites.
>
> The P.C in question has an Intel Celeron 1.7GHZ processor with 768 meg
> of RAM. It has an Intel 845GL chipset.
>
> All else so far O.K. Performs relatively quick for what it is.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated
>
> Kindest regards
> Craig Anth

Hi,
As because the installation was from a DVD the installer can not setup
the connection during installation though the sources.list file was
created with proper address of mirrors,you could not be connected with
mirrors.So the line "# Line commented out by installer because.... ".
But you should have access to any site including debian.org after
installation and link/net setup.Check the connection and then open
http//www.debian.org and http://www.debian.org/mirror/list.
If it is found OK then try with Synaptic or aptitude(preferable in shell
use 'aptitude update' and then 'aptitude safe-upgrade').
Your sources.list file is OK.

Best regard,
G. Nath.