Re: sun java 1.5 in debian volatile

Luis Matos wrote on 17/05/2006 01:24:
> Qua, 2006-05-17 às 00:50 +0200, Sven Mueller escreveu:
>
>>Luis Matos wrote on 16/05/2006 20:50:
>>
>>>Is it possible to have in volatile a version of java 1.5 for sarge?
>>>
>>Adding sun-java5 to volatile doesn't make much sense if you keep that in
>>mind. And it doesn't match the criteria for volatile.
>
> That is why i mailed volatile's mailling list... true ... volatile only
> updates packages that "are" in sarge, i think.

Not only that, the acceptance rules also say:

* volatile is not "just another place" for backports, but should only
  contain changes to stable programs that are necessary to keep them
  functional;

This implies two things:
- The program has to already be in stable (today: sarge)
- The package in stable has to be non-functional
  (like a messenger not unusable because the servers it uses
   changed their protocol or a virus scanner being basically
   non-functional because it can't use the newest signature
   files)
Both are not true for Sun's Java.

> Having a place where java is updated and we use only apt to manage that
> is truly helpful. Like other packages, we don't have to be always
> looking for new releases of any package. Regarding this, i made my
> proposal.

I somewhat agree that such a place would be useful (if you need Sun's
Java and can't use a free alternative like kaffee), but I might add that
backports.org is perhaps not willing to accept non-free programs (I'm
not exactly sure about this).

Ciao,
Sven